On a cold, wintry day is there anything better than curling up with a good book? Grab some tea or coffee, your favorite comfy chair, and get lost in another world!
The trick, of course, is to find a good story that grabs and holds you.
Whether you’re spending some time with us on the Shore or you just want to read a wide variety of fascinating subjects, we asked Beth Ann Sabo, co-owner of independent Cape Charles book store, Peach Street Books, to weigh in on the 15 best-selling books of 2019 sold from their store.
Not surprisingly, there were several books on their top 15 list that related to the Eastern Shore as well as the history of Cape Charles.
But certainly, not all! You’ll find dog songs, birding, savoring Southern food, and how to read water on that list. No doubt you’ll add more wonderful books to your reading to-do list.
Without further ado, here are the top 15 best selling books of 2019 from Peach Street Books.
15. Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls, Day Pilkey
14. Portrait of a Town: Cape Charles, 1940-1960, Patricia J. Parsons
13. Ultimate Guide to Sea Glass: Finding, Collecting, Identifying, and Using the Ocean’s Most Beautiful Stones, Mary Beth Beuke
12. How to Read Water: Clues and Patterns from Puddles to the Sea, Tristan Gooley
11. Dog Songs: Poems, Mary Oliver
10. The Virginia Eastern Shore, Charles A. Landis
9. Cape Charles A to Z, Katie Hines Porterfield
8. American Fire: Love, Arson and Life in a Vanishing Land, Monica Hesse
7. South You Never Ate: Savoring Flavors and Stories from the Eastern Shore of Virginia, Bernard L. Herman
6. Misty of Chincoteague (anniversary), Marguerite Henry
5. Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home, George Howe Colt
4. National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Birds of North America, Edward (Ned) S. Brinkley
3. Chesapeake Requiem: A Year with the Watermen of Vanishing Tangier Island, Earl Swift
2. Pete at the Beach, James Dean
1. Off 13: The Eastern Shore of Virginia Guidebook, Kirk Mariner
Did you find something you like? How could you not! Let us know which one you plan to read first and why.
Bring your book(s) with you to the Inn or grab it while you’re here at Peach Street Books. We’ll have the coffee, snacks, waiting for you as you sit by our cozy fireplace. Book here.